Municipal Court Frequently Asked Questions

Can I pay any citation at this Court?

No. Each Court is a separate system.  Please verify the address and contact information listed on the citation before making payment or appearing.

Can I pay my fines and fees without going to Court?

Yes, court payments are accepted in-person, by phone, and by mail.

  • In person: Pay in person at the Traffic Violations Bureau (Finance Customer Service Window) at the temporary City Hall at 970 N. Cascade Dr., suite 120, any week-day prior to your appearance, and may receive automatic deductions if eligible.
  • Phone: Pay by phone by calling 503-982-5222, opt. 1. 
  • Mail: Pay by mail to 270 Montgomery St., Woodburn OR 97071.  Please note your citation number and the name on the citation when mailing a payment. 

The fine is more than I can afford at this time. Can I make payments?

Yes. A payment plan may be set up for most citations. You may request a payment plan by appearing early, before your scheduled Court appearance, or after you leave the Court Room following the arraignment.  A $25 fee is charged to set up a payment plan. Please contact the Court to verify eligibility.

Can I take a traffic safety class (diversion program) so the citation won't appear on my driving record?

Yes, if you are eligible. Please contact the Violations Bureau beginning ten calendar days after receiving the citation, up to the day before the appearance date (court date) listed on the citation.  On the appearance date listed on your citation, you must appear before the Judge, not the Violations Bureau, to request the diversion program.  Please check with the Court to see if you are eligible for the diversion program, or to obtain additional information.

Diversion program eligibility factors include, but are not limited to:

  • No convictions or diversion for any motor vehicle violation (including DUII) within the three years immediately preceding the date of the citation
  • Drivers whose licenses are not issued by Oregon must obtain their driving record from the state that issued their license, and must provide that driving record to the Woodburn Municipal Court.
  • Driver's license is not a Commercial Driver's License
  • No other pending motor vehicle citations in this or any other court
  • Citation does not have more than one violation
  • No accidents associated with the alleged offense
  • The traffic violation is not a Class A Violation or a No Insurance Citation
  • The traffic violation is a moving traffic violation
  • Agree to plead No Contest to the traffic offense with which you are currently charged
  • Agree to pay the fee set by the Court for the offense within the time for payment set by the Court

What are the requirements to complete the diversion program?

  • Pay the full amount of the fee set by the Court to Woodburn Municipal Court on or before the date set by the Court. 
  • Pay the fee for the mandated course to the course provider.  Course fee is approximately $50.  Course fees vary based on provider and whether course is completed online or attended in person. 
  • Complete the mandated course within 90 days and provide proof of completion to the Court.
  • Do not receive a citation for a motor vehicle violation during the six (6) months following your appearance or plea. 
  • Drivers whose licenses are not issued by Oregon must obtain an updated driving record from the state that issued their license, and must provide that driving record to the Woodburn Municipal Court.
  • Keep the Court advised of your current mailing address and telephone number during the six (6) months following your appearance or plea.

How would the diversion program affect my citation and my driving record?

If you comply in full with the requirements of the diversion program, the Court will dismiss the case and the citation will not be reported to the Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).  A dismissed case remains on your Court record and may be used to determine eligibility for any future diversion program requests.

If you do not comply in full with the requirements of the diversion program, the diversion will be terminated, you will be convicted of the offense, and the citation will be reported to the DMV.

Do you have an interpreter while I am in Court or conducting Court business?

Yes. Please contact the Court for additional information.

  • Arraignments:  For Spanish, a certified Court Interpreter is present at all arraignments. For other languages, please contact the Court in advance of your scheduled arraignment.  A certified Court Interpreter will be scheduled, or a telephone Language Line service may be used.  
  • Trials: Please contact the Court in advance of your scheduled trial date to request Court Interpreter services.  A certified Court Interpreter will be scheduled, or a telephone Language Line service may be used.

What happens if I cannot appear in Court?

You can appear anytime before the scheduled Court date at the Vioations Bureacy (Finance Customer Service window), at the temporary City Hall at 970 N. Cascade Dr., or send the base fine amount with a letter of explanation for the Judge to read to 270 Montgomery St. The letter and base fine has to arrive at the Court Office before the scheduled date of appearance. The consequences for not appearing in court can be severe. It is in your best interest to do one of the above.