Library Migrates to New Software December 8
On Dec. 8, the Woodburn Public Library will begin a week-long migration to a new library software system, along with the other members of the Chemeketa Cooperative Regional Library Service (CCRLS). The new system will offer some exciting new capabilities, including:
- One-click download of e-books and audiobooks from within the library catalog;
- Simultaneous search of the library’s catalog and databases through a new, simple-yet-powerful search interface;
- SMS (text message) notifications;
- Mobile access, so staff can register patrons and loan materials at community events;
- Patron photos for enhanced security of users’ accounts;
- Access to the powerful BookMyne mobile app, available for iOS and Android devices.
Between Dec. 8-10, patrons will have limited access to library services and the library will be closed on Dec. 11. Access to online accounts will be unavailable, and checkouts will be limited to on-shelf items only with a limit of three items per patron per day. It will not be possible to request any library materials during the three-day process.
The Library will begin using the new system on Dec. 12. Patron records, items checked out, holds and fines will transfer over to the new system. However, library patrons will want to anticipate the following changes to their accounts:
- Book lists and preferred searches created by the patron will not carry over, and patrons may want to save this information elsewhere prior to the transition.
- Personal Identification Numbers (PINs) will not transfer over from the old system. Patrons should try either the last four digits of their phone number or type in CHANGEME to be prompted to create a new PIN.
- Families who have linked accounts in the existing system will need to reestablish those relationships in the new system.
- Staff will be adding photos to all library accounts to enhance privacy and security. The photo will only appear within the system and will not be added to library cards.
- The library’s self-check unit will be unavailable temporarily.
This change in library software systems is a big, once-a-decade change for patrons and library staff alike. As library employees begin using the new system, some processes may take a little longer than usual. Everyone at the Library thanks you in advance for your patience, and we look forward to offering better-than-ever service in the New Year. For further information, call 503-982-5252.